What to expect
Participants will gain skills to recognise respiratory symptoms of distress and failure including:
- Identify the healthcare challenges in recognising the deteriorating patient.
- List the measures taken by the Australian Commission on Safety and Quality in Healthcare in addressing the recognition and response to clinical deterioration.
- Identify new technologies to monitor the deteriorating patient.
- Identify the key features and functions of the Respiratory Centre.
- Understand the role of Respiratory assessment in clinical deterioration.
- Recognise the role of Vital signs in clinical deterioration.
- Describe the key features of the clinical assessment of the patient.
- Understand the importance of Look, Listen & Feel.
- Describe the 4 steps of Respiratory Assessment.
- Identify the key features of a stethoscope.
- Explore how to perform chest auscultation and interpret findings.
- Understand the key role of respiratory rate in clinical deterioration.
- Describe the role of pulse oximetry and capnography in respiratory assessment.
- Determine what new technology is available in clinical practice.
Kevin Holliday is the Account Manager for Cardinal Health here in Tasmania. Kevin’s 31-year career of Nursing has included 18 years in the ICU at the Royal Adelaide Hospital as the ICU Nurse Educator, Clinical Lecturer for the University of Adelaide, Clinical Nurse Consultant for RAH Mediflight and for the Medical Emergency Team.
ANMF members: $80