North West Updates
Mersey Community Hospital
The ANMF along with Workplace Representatives attended the Tasmania Industrial Commission (TIC) on 5 May 2020, for a report back conference. This conference was to agree on outcomes to address members workload concerns, in particular to ensure that once the ward returns to normal business following COVID-19 that the appropriate resources are available to support the current skill mix.
To date the ANMF have been successful in securing the following:
- Attendants: the THS have agreed to trial attendants being stationed on the ward. The THS are now consulting with the attendants and will discuss their feedback on the proposal at a meeting to be held on 27 May 2020, with a plan to have the resources available by 31 May 2020.
- Hospital Aides: a trial of the extended hours for the Hospital Aides is to commence once the ward is returned to normal business.
- Recruitment: the THS will provide the ANMF with a report back on all recruitment of vacancies at the meeting to be held on 27 May 2020.
- Benchmarking: education sessions commenced with Medical Ward staff on 6May 2020 with further sessions to follow. The final benchmarking proposal will be articulated to the ANMF to take to members for consideration and endorsement at the meeting to be held on 27May 2020.
- Clinical Nurse Educator: the THS have confirmed that an additional CNE FTE will be allocated to the ward for a period of 6 months. There will be a CNE available for direct care support to nursing staff every weekday morning shift.
- Clinical Coach: the THS are gathering information about the role that was trialed at the Launceston General Hospital and will provide a response to this request at the meeting to be held on 27 May 2020. The ANMF have also requested that the THS present any alternative proposals to address skill mix.
The ANMF will consult with members following the meeting on 27 May 2020. In the meantime, if you have concerns we encourage you to get in touch with us via our Member Support Team.
Updates correct as at 13 May 2020.
Authorised by Emily Shepherd, ANMF Tasmanian Branch Secretary